donderdag 24 september 2020

St. Augustine - A Conversion "Suddenly, all darkness vanished away"

St. Augustine - A Conversion ""Suddenly, all darkness vanished away"

The very toys of toys and vanities of vanities still held me: they plucked at the garment of my flesf and whispered softly. “Will you cast us off for ever? And from that moment shall we no longer be with you – for ever?”, and I hesitated, for a strong habit said to me, “Do you think you can live without them?”
But continence said to me, “Why do you rely on yourself and so waver? Cast yourself upon him, fear not, he will not withdraw himself and let you fall; he will receive you and heal you”.

So I rose and, throwing myself down under a certain fig tree, wept bitterly in contrition of heart. Suddenly I heard from a neighbouring house the voice of a child, singing over and over again, “Take up and read, take up and read”.
Checking my weeping I got up and went back to where I had been sitting, and had laid down the volume of the apostle, and read the first passage which met my eyes: “Not in rioting and drunkenness, not in impurity and wantonness, not in strife and envy; but put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfil its lusts.”

I needed to read no further, for suddenly, as it were by a light infused into my 
heart, all darkness vanished away.


(Confessions VIII,11.12)